I'm getting up to speed with Wordpress. One thing I wanted was to quickly get a halfway decent looking mobile responsive theme, and then get on with the business of writing my content. My belief is that it's folly spending too much time on creating the perfect theme & look & feel, and that it's the content which is more important.
As a new Wordpress site owner, I'm going over every detail of the presentation to make sure everything looks right. This evening the task is improving the per-post publishing byline, and author information. As a side task, I want to have the site display my full name anywhere it would normally show the user login name. My theory is that because my mother named me "David Herron" and not "webmaster" that my website shouldn't show my name as "webmaster".
The other night talking with my girlfriend about developing a website for her, we decided that she needed a Wordpress blog. She's done quite a lot with Blogger blogs and is very familiar with them, but the goals she had were impossible given Blogger's limitations. While Drupal is a very powerful system and could have done what she wanted, it's not exactly user friendly.
One of the pain points of Chromebook users is that certain kinds of applications either aren't available for ChromeOS or are impractical. ChromeOS is a Chrome web browser, running pre-packaged on top of Linux, with a bunch of security goodness backed up by Google cloud services. It's an amazing environment but the applications are limited to running inside Chrome. Well, unless you jailbreak the device and install Crouton allowing you to run Linux.
Wake up! Theocracy is on the march in Indiana and Arkansas in the guise of protecting the right to practice ones religion. Unfortunately the law is being spun in the press as "anti-gay-rights" when in fact it's much more disturbing than that. This law says that "a governmental entity may not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion" - in other words, Indiana and Arkansas residents now have free reign to flout laws in the name of exercise of religion.
A crazy limitation of Chromebooks has been the inability to access remote file systems (other than Google Drive). While Google Drive is a fine cloud oriented file system, and works great with Google Docs, I need to access files on my Drobo (with SMB/CIFS protocol), or various remote services like Dropbox or an SFTP connection to webservers. My needs may be a little more complex than most because of the web development work I do. Anyone contemplating adopting a Chromebook in a business would have to be nervous about handing company documents or other files over to Google for safekeeping.
Something we geeks need to do all the time is deploy files between machines. Such as, deploying a directory hierarchy over to a server for staging or production use. There's a ton of ways to do this. The old-school way is a shell script with carefully crafted rsync commands. In my case I build websites using AkashaCMS and need to deploy them to the destination webserver.
The last couple weeks I've switched my working environment from a MacBook Pro to a Chromebook that has Ubuntu installed under Crouton. A lot of my work is developing Node.js software, and writing website content, and my habits are to live at the command line typing commands. But it also means accessing the large amount of content I have stashed on the MacBook Pro, and a Drobo 5N. MacOSX can easily mount shares on the Drobo, letting me access those files as if they were on the local machine.
One of my websites has been running very slow for years - every so often I try to figure out why it's slow, and recently it had been suggested to install xhprof to gather some data. The website is a Drupal 6 site that gets 1000+ visits a day, and is an active forum website with lots of people chatting away about electric vehicles. The server is a VPS rented from Dreamhost. The latest iteration of Dreamhost VPS's uses SSD disks, and a customized version of Ubuntu 12.04.
I'm trying to get ready for a Drupal 8 port, and one of the steps is to get Drush set up. Nowadays that means setting up Composer and running some magic commands with Composer that supposedly sets up Drush. The problem then came when I cd'd into the root of my Drupal 6 site, and tried to run "drush pm-list --core" to generate a list of installed modules to prepare a readiness spreadsheet. The error message that came up gave me a big WTF feeling: